31 January 2006

You're bweaking my baws, Hans Brix!

Through Hit and Run, I present you with this link to Arms Control Wonk. Why? Well, besides the fact that Arms Control Wonk is one of the more interesting blogs out there, blogger Jeffrey gives us a video image of Hans Blix, the much-critiqued Arms Control inspector, humorously referencing his 'role' in one of the best puppet movies of all time, Team America: World Police. It is kind of funny; I feel like Beavis when I watch it. "He said fuck! Heh, heh, heh, heh, heh." Damn, am I dating myself here? I miss "Beavis and Butthead."
In all seriousness, Blix does have a point when references that classic film. Arms control inspectors really are powerless to do any true inspection. What is the only threat they have? "I'll report you!" How do we change that? Do we WANT to change that? Would the US approve, for example, providing inspectors with immediate military support? Somehow, I doubt it.